Onsite OKR Workshops
The initial package includes one full day on-site workshop for 20 people and remote coaching during three months to ensure the effective adoption of the capabilities developed during the training. It can be expanded both by adding more workshops or by extending the coaching period.
The approach is modular and can be customized to meet your needs. Other options include:
- OKR at scale: Support for a full OKR implementation at scale.
- Executive overview: Learn about OKR before committing to implement it and evaluate if it is a good fit for your organization.
After training thousands of individuals around the world, I developed a straightforward method for the successful adoption of OKR, the Set, Align, Achieve cycle, that is the core of the workshop:
- Set: Creating OKRs that are valuable, engaging, and actionable.
- Align: Ensuring that each team aligns with the others and to the company strategy.
- Achieve: Regularly tracking and acting upon the OKRs to reach them.
Workshop: OKR Fundamentals and Setting OKRs
During a full day workshop, participants will learn the OKR fundamentals through a series of hands-on exercises. Topics include:
- Introduction to OKR.
- Creating engaging objectives.
- Setting tactical OKRs aligned to the organization’s strategic OKRs.
- Value-based Key Results vs. Initiatives.
- Creating shared OKRs and 360º alignment between multiple teams.
- Using the weekly cadence to track and improve OKRs.
- The need to balance Key Results to avoid perverse incentives.
- How to set targets for the Key Results and understand Moonshots (stretch goals) vs. Roofshots.
- Using leading indicators and lagging indicators.
- Using value drivers to select OKRs that that contribute to the company strategy.
After the training, the participants will draft the OKRs in a bidirectional (top-down and bottom-up) process:
- The group will create a set of strategic annual OKRs for the company.
- Each team will then define a set of tactical quarterly OKRs that contribute to the company OKRs.
Participants will be able to refine the OKRs after the workshop with my support.
Align: Ensuring alignment between teams
After drafting the OKRs, participants will Align them with the other teams. Using the 360º Alignment tool presented in the workshop, and with my support, they will:
- Map interdependencies.
- Create shared OKRs.
- Ensure both vertical and horizontal (cross-functional) alignment.
Achieve: Regular follow-through to reach the OKRs
After setting and aligning the OKRs, the teams have to work to Achieve their goals. For that purpose, two initiatives will be implemented:
Adopting management ceremonies for tracking results is crucial to OKR success. The goal is not to add more meetings, but to make them more productive and focused on delivering value instead of activities.
The OKR Check-in is a weekly ceremony for tracking and acting upon the OKRs, and it is at the heart of the Achieve step.
During the engagement, I will:
- Facilitate the implementation of the OKR Check-ins.
- Provide coaching for the client at fortnightly remote checkpoints to:
- Answer questions.
- Track progress on the OKRs.
- Help remove any impediments that may be preventing the team from achieving results.
- Provide a template for OKR tracking to enable a quick start of the OKR tracking process.
Change Agents: OKR Champions
Our approach includes the education of a team of OKR Champions, who act as change agents for OKR.
OKR Champions are a blend of evangelists and PMOs that facilitate cultural change. Their mission is to ensure that the organization has continued success with OKR.
Lean Performance will train a group OKR Champions in a 60-minute additional session. During the engagement, the OKR Champions will have unlimited access to email for answering questions.
This post is also available in: BR